Here's a picture of my MRI. The ACL is clearly not attached to the bone below it - I think that's the tibia. And the meniscus is normally a smooth piece of cartilage and shouldn't have that huge divvet in the middle. So I'm definitely having surgery.All in all, I'm starting to question the expertise of ER doctors. The guy actually said "it's just a sprain. It should heal in about a week."
3 comments:
My experience with ER doctors has been similar. The times I have been to the ER for knee injuries have always ended with the doctor diagnosing the injury as something less serious that what it actually was.
I suppose that's to be expected, though. Tearing an ACL hurts, but it is far from life-threatening. I expect ER doctors tend to specialize in things like heart attacks, car crashes, and gun shot wounds. Orthopedics probably isn't a common ER specialty.
Agreed. But why do they cost more to visit than the Orthopedic?
The ER bills always seem high for the performed treatments.
One popular theory is that since so many ER patients don't pay their bills, those who actually pay must subsidize those who don't. This may be a symptom of the uninsured using the ER as a place for primary care.
I'm willing to bet orthopedic surgeons don't deal with quite as many people skipping out on the bill and can thus charge their patients a price that better reflects the services rendered.
Post a Comment